Monday, September 12, 2011

Ten years since the world changed...

Ten years ago when I was 16, I was sleeping at home when my mom came into my room and said "Virginia, we're being attacked." I, in a groggy state, turned on the television and watched a replay of the second plane running into the second twin tower. It was absolutely shocking. It didn't fully hit me until I was in my first period English class and we all just sat in silence watching the towers fall. In every single class we watched the television. It was such a quiet day. Looking back on it all, it was a disaster but it brought us all together.  I was proud to be an American and everyone else was too. We all bonded over this tragedy and became a united force to be reckoned with. It was a strange feeling because although I did love my country, I guess I didn't really feel any pride for it. I was just a teenager. But after 9/11 I had a strong sense of community and was very, very proud of my country. I retain that pride today and am still grateful to be an American. I just wish the politicians could work together and help us out of the hole we're currently in. I'll never forget that day. I'll never forget the heroes that died and the ones that lived. And I'll never forget the troops that have fought for us since. Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment