Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My darkest secret... CATS

I am a crazy cat lady. I have two, only because my friends have forbidden me to get any more. My dad is not a fan of dogs, which is why we had cats while I was growing up. I am an only child and the street we lived on didn't have any other kids until I was about eight years old, so I had my cat. Just one cat, Strawberry. When I was four our cat Morgan ran away. I barely remember her but I remember getting Strawberry.  About a week after Morgan ran away, there were kittens in front of the grocery store. My four-year old self walked straight up to the box found the loudest kitten and picked her up and refused to put her down. The lady even asked me if I wanted a quieter one. But no this was the cat for me. She was my best friend until she passed away at the ripe old age of 18. I was devastated. Strawberry was my only unconditional friend. She waited up for me if I came home late and slept with me. She listened to my problems when I was in the awkward teenage years and she even let me dress her up when I was little. Again, I lasted about a week before I could no longer take it and found a kitten and an older kitten. They were both tuxedo cats and both girls. LC was the baby, just three months old. She jumped out of the box and immediately started exploring. I named her after Lewis and Clark. She was attached to my hip and still is. She's more dog than cat these days, loves riding in the car, fetches, loves to play with water. She can usually be found in the bathtub. Cleopatra was about 8 months old and she hid under the microwave stand for two days before she excepted her new home. Sadly she disappeared six months later. I was heartbroken. I did everything I could to find her but after a month I decided to save a new kitten from the shelter. She was 5 month old kitten born in the shelter to a feral mom-cat. She was a little skittish, to say the least. I named her Prudence after the Beatles song. I used to sing it to her "Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?" She has warmed up considerably but still has trouble with strangers. LC and Prudence are the cats in the bottom of my blog homepage. As you can see LC is a a bit larger now. Prue will follow her everywhere, even in the tub. I love my cats.  I don't really care if people think I'm crazy because of it.





Young LC


Prudence


Strawberry


Cleopatra


1 comment:

  1. I'm a crazy cat lady too! I appreciate their independence. They aren't nearly as needy as dogs, for affection or anything else.

    ReplyDelete