Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grandma's Cooking

I've mentioned before that all of my grandparents have passed away. You see, my parents were in their late-middle years when they met. My parents had both already been married and divorced and surprisingly had no children from their prior relationships. Well they got married and a year later I was born.  My mother was in her forties when she had me. Her father had already passed away. My mother's mother lived in California and I only got to see her once a year or so*. My father parents were my main set of grandparents. Every holiday we would go to their house. My Grandma was one of the best cooks in the world. We would always have these elaborate dinners on Christmas eve. I miss them, my grandparents, and the dinners. When I was twelve my grandpa, then my grandma died. Eleven weeks apart from each other.  My grandma died two weeks before Christmas. It was pretty rough. I'm having a really hard time remembering them as I get older. So, I have this idea. I'm a decent cook. My mom always tell me I have a natural gift from my grandma. I want to use it to remember. I think in the next year or so I am going to try and cook one of her recipes once a week. The only problem is that she didn't write any down. My grandma was Swedish. She used to make a ton of traditional Swedish foods, and a lot of non-traditional foods. I know my aunt had some recipes written down but unfortunately she also passed away. I'm just going to have to wing it. I can call my cousins and the rest of my family and see what foods they remember. I'm pretty excited! I'll post each week with the food I made and how it turned out.

*My mother's mom had some medical issues and eventually moved in with us when I was eight. I don't want to misrepresent her. She was involved with all of our holidays after she moved here from CA. She used to watch me after school and I loved her very much. It's just the point of this post is the cooking and she wasn't the greatest cook. And good God, she had a temper. She passed away when I was 18 and I miss her very much.


UPDATE: I've decided to make a new blog for this topic.
http://grandmaellenscooking.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment