Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Anatomy of a Cold

Disclaimer: The following is a complete whine fest!
I'm sick. In many ways. Now I can add physically. It all started last Monday with a general icky feeling. Tuesday brought on the sore throat. On Wednesday it was pretty clear I had to clear my schedule because I had a full blown cold. I don't get sick very often. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually had a cold. I've had the sniffles a couple times but this time I was bed ridden for 5 days. I remember when I was a kid and getting sick was almost fun because you got to stay home from school and watch TV and your mom took care of you. Being an adult and getting sick is so boring. I spent five days in my bed. FIVE DAYS! It was awful. Really the sickness is the worst part, not being able to sleep because of the coughing and the body aches, headaches and blowing your nose till it's red. I'm allergic to cough medicine and after the first part of the head cold, it moved south to the dreaded chest cold. At first it felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest. Every time I would try and cough it would get tighter and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Then it turned into a wheeze fest, with a really nice crackly cough but at least it was producing something. It's all bad but the boredom is mind numbing. After a day I realized there is nothing but crap on TV anymore. Then I turned to Netflix, after a day there's nothing but crap on Netflix too. Video games are impossible to play in between coughing fits. I've read all the books I own. I couldn't clean because I had no energy and it kicked up too much dust. Yesterday I started to feel like I just might live through this. Today I was like "Hot damn, I'm going to work!" I've never felt so happy to be at work before. I think that getting sick puts things in prospective. I'm really glad that I'm a mostly healthy person with a job to get me out of the house. Things could be a lot worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment