Monday, October 31, 2011

Canada, Harness Racing and Pumpkins

I was supposed to go to a party for Milly’s Dad on Saturday. It was his sixtieth birthday and there was a surprise party in the works. A potluck and I was going to bring the deviled eggs. Unfortunately, I forgot that I made plans with my mom. We were going on the Senior Center Bus to Canada to Fraser Downs to see the harness races. On Friday night I went to Milly’s house to make the eggs I had promised. On Saturday we met the bus and saw that there was also a van. They tried to split us up but I insisted on staying with my mom. It was pouring down rain and I don’t care for the bus driver, he is aggressive, speeds and tailgates. Thankfully we got to ride in the van. The driver’s name was Leonard Skinner, freaking awesome. I asked him if he knew that his name was very similar to a certain band. He knew of course and we chatted on how they named their band. He was a very good driver and I felt much safer in the van, I even took a little nap. As we approached Bellingham, traffic slowed down considerably and I counted four separate accidents. I can’t believe that people who drive in the rain on a daily basis still don’t know to increase distance. It boggles the mind that people in western Washington have no idea how to drive in the rain. Leonard decided to get off the freeway and went around the stopped traffic. Which was a good idea. We met the bus by the border and made our way into Canada. I love Canada. It’s so friendly and inviting. We made it to Fraser Downs with time to spare. The casino was open so I quickly lost ten dollars on the slots. I couldn’t help it. It was a Wizard of Oz penny slot. It was made for me. Shortly after, they opened the doors to the Gameclub where the horse betting took place. They had a buffet. I’m not a big buffet fan but it was very good food. After the food was served, the horses started racing. Harness Racing looks a little like the horse is pulling a rickshaw. We stayed for seven races. I won on the second and seventh race. I became the runner for our table since I was the youngest one with a bunch of seniors. All in all our table did very well. Nothing big since none of us bet more than $2. The entire group left in a timely manner and some of the ladies wanted to stop at the Duty Free. My mom quickly jumped out of the van and hustled in. I’m a little broke so I decided to stay in the van. We made it back through customs with no trouble and got back in the states. I took a nap on the way home. It was a very fun day and to be completely honest I think I had more fun with the seniors then I would have had at the party. The next day my friends and I had a pumpkin carving party. It was Annie, Milly, Dom and I and Dom’s seven-year-old son, Brandon. Brandon was excited to get to carve his very own pumpkin by himself. His dad watched over his shoulder while he made an adorable pumpkin that had a little tiny face. It looked obese. Milly made her pumpkin look like a redneck with buckteeth and big ears and Annie made a cat face. I decided to make a scary pumpkin this year so mine had with fangs and slanty eyes. I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment