Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Photoshop... you make me feel bad

My mom is taking a photography class. She is slowly easing into retirement by only working two days a week and doing as much as possible on her five-day weekend. Listening to the things she's been doing is exhausting. The one thing I really like is her photography class. I always wanted to take one but never had the time or money to do it. She bought a new expensive camera and she also bought Photoshop. I was super excited to play with her new stuff. I took the camera into the woods and tried for some "artistic" pictures. They all looked horrible so I deleted them all. Then I did what all crazy people do and started to take pictures of my cats. After about a hundred pictures, I decided to give the cats a break and play with the Photoshop. I had some pictures from New Years on my mom's computer. I decided to touch them up. I got rid of the stubborn acne (I'm 27 when is it going away!)  I brightened my teeth and the white parts of my eyes and cropped out the larger parts of me. Then I did something I shouldn't have done. I posted it on Facebook. People I haven't talked to in years started "liking" it and commenting on how beautiful I looked. This morning when I looked at it I felt horrible. That picture is a lie! How can models in magazines handle this kind of guilt? All they ever do is live a lie. But I do look really good in that picture. I'm not taking it down. I'm just going to have to learn to live with this guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment